What is Google Search Console (Google Web Master Tools)?
Google search console previously called “Google webmaster tool” which is a collection of tools and resources offered by Google to monitor the website performance in the Google Search index. It helps website owners, webmasters, web marketers and SEO professional to measure the website performance by providing the reports and data that can help you understand how different pages on your website are appearing in search results.
Basically ‘GSC’ provides you with detailed reports about your page’s visibility on Google.
By submitting your WordPress sites to Google Search Console you can optimize your website in search engines to get organic search traffic.
Requirements for use:
If you don’t have a Google Search Console(GSC) account then you have to first create a GSC account.To use the Google Search Console, you should have following things:-
- A Google account
- Admin access to your website
Why do you need Google Search Console?
Google Search Console is needed for following reasons:
- Check your website has crawl errors or not
- For Website optimization to get the speed
- Helps to identify the malware on your websites
- Helps to identify unnatural links that link to your website
- For allowing the Google that can render your website properly
Guide to add your WordPress Site to Google Search Console:
One important step in optimizing your site for search engines is adding your WordPress site to Google Webmaster Tools as well as your website’s sitemap.
Steps to Add your website to Google Search Console:
1. Go to Google Search Console page by signing to your Google account. The Page will appear like below.
2. Get “ADD A PROPERTY” button to submit the URL. You can see the image below:
3. Next, Submit URL in the pop-up box which will appear after you clicked “ADD A PROPERTY” button.Then click on “Add” button. See the screenshot below.
4. On the next screen, Two tabs will appear in front of you i.e, “Recommend Method” and “HTML tag”. See the Image below:
5. For WordPress websites, Google recommends to Choose “HTML tag” option which obtains a meta tag which you can then add to your WordPress site. Then look at the screen short below this where you will find the meta tag which you will copy the meta tag and paste it into your site’s home page See the Image below…
6. To paste the Meta Tag to WordPress site you need to go to WordPress site Admin panel. You will visit the editor page (WordPress>Appearance>Editor) and paste that meta tag within the <head> tag section.Then scroll down the page and click on update. Look at the image below and see the blue color highlight area where meta is paste.
7.Then Come back to the Search Console Page and see the meta tag has been added or not. After you’ve clicked “Verify” you should receive a confirmation message. You can then click “Google” to get back to the home page of your GSC dashboard.
8. Finally, your site got integrated into Search console after getting the message of Congratulations, Successfully verified your website ownership. See the screenshot message below:
Steps to submit a sitemap to Google Search Console:
1. In Google Search Console, to submit your sitemap, you will go to the section under Crawl > Sitemaps. See the screenshot below to identify sitemap where it is.
2.Now we need to add your sitemap file. Click on the “Add/Test Sitemap” button on the top right. Input the URL of your sitemap and click on “Submit Sitemap”. Your sitemap is most likely located at the root of your URL. The image is shown below and follows the green text to be submitted in the box.
3. Now your WordPress site should be properly integrated with Google Search Console.