What is Geotargeting?
Geotargeting identifying the geolocation of a website visitor and delivering different content to the correct customer when they search based on his/her location such as IP address, region, state, ZIP code etc….
your rank will be higher in the search engine if you use it effectively. Although Google doesn’t count it as a factor but Bingo, Yahoo supported it.
A geotag is geographical information metadata that is embedded into an object such as photo/video, RSS feed, websites. The process of geotagging is also known as geocoding where we add the geographical information to an object in order for search engines and reader of the page.
For better optimization business owner make it easier for search engines to associate their website with their physical locations.
Adding geotag to websites is quite easy. Here GeoURL standard required the ICBM(Intercontinental Ballistic Missile)meta data indicates latitude and longitude coordinates.
<meta name=”ICBM” content=”43.25136, -77.613646”/>
There is another way you can also use other geo-meta tags to indicate altitude, position, region or place names. Where
- geo.position includes latitude, longitude coordinates
- geo.placename includes the position.
- Geo.region includes a 2 character country code identifier and a 2 character state code identifier.
<meta name=”geo.position” content=”43.25136; -77.613646”/>
<meta name=”geo.placename” content=”4410 Lake Ave, Rochester, NY 14612, USA”/>
<meta name=”geo.region” content=”US-NY”/>
- Geo tag are located inside the head section.
- It starts with keyword meta as Geo tags are called HTML meta-tag.
- Syntax of geotag consists of name(name=””) and content(content=””).
Why is it helpful for SEO?
- By adding geotag to your website, the search engine finds it easier to locate you on the map. If you have the local or regional business then geotagging will be beneficial for you by boosting your visibility on local search queries.
- If you tagged your business with proper information, then customer easily find your location when they search for and with the introduction of GPS for mobile devices, your customer can find your site even if you just provide the longitude and latitude information.
- Geo-targeting can be used to target local customer through paid (PPC) or organic search. It is one of the most important factors of getting more traffic to one’s websites.
- As it contains longitude and latitude coordinates, Geotagging can help users to find a variety of location-specific information from a device.
- It’s the first place someone goes when they are looking for any type of service or product that they need.
- The easiest locator and strongest signal for the search engine are the local domain. If the website has domain.co.in –it can only be India based web or websites targeted at the India. So each country requires their national address gives this domain even further strength. ccTLD(country code top-level domain) is preferred the option for delivering localized content faster than any other technique and user find ccTLD as trustworthy and relevant, so resulting in the higher ranking, high CTR, and better conversation rates.
When a search is entered by someone, they want to know some specifics like
- Where are you located?
- The hours of business
- The type of services that the business has to offer.
So here Geo-targeting comes to plays an important role for today’s business
Support from the search engine and privacy:
As we know geotagging attaches specific geographic information to the different content which is beneficial to the customer and also supported by Bing and Yahoo search engines. But Google assumes that there are too many web developers out there that get a template from somewhere and never edit those data so the information is not useful for search engines.
Concerned about the Geotag privacy you need to consider some following data:
- Provide only generic data of your location.
- Don’t give your personal phone no.
- Check all EXIF data by clicking on photos.