What is OpenCart?
OpenCart is a FREE open source e-commerce platform for online dealers, which is very user-friendly and spontaneous. OpenCart delivers a specialized and dependable foundation for a successful online store. This foundation charms to a wide range of users; ranging from seasoned web developers considering for a user-friendly interface to use to business owners just introducing their business online for the first time. OpenCart has a wide set of features that give a strong grip over the customization of your e-commerce store. With OpenCart’s great tools, you can help your online store live up to its best potential.
Why should you consider OpenCart?
OpenCart is designed with loads of features; it is easy-to-use, it is an engine friendly platform with a visually attractive interface. It claims the following features:
- It supports an unrestricted number of products, categories, consumers and transactions.
- OpenCart supports several languages, currencies and stores, controlled from one admin interface.
- It’s tax charges support favours global trade.
- It provides three types of reports: sales report (total amount of sales per day, week or month); products viewed (list of items that are most popular among customers), products purchased (products that are best sellers).
- This platform lets you set different customer groups such as default, retail or wholesale and specify different amounts for each of them.
- Available pre-defined templates and designs to select from.
- It provides the feature to continue with payment through several methods, such as PayPal, credit cards, etc.;
- This platform is search engine responsive so that you can enhance OpenCart store and increase business performance.
- OpenCart is featured with automatic image resizing.
- Free lifetime support and updates are provided by OpenCart developers.
Opencart 1.5 was released in May 2011 with some unique upgraded features as below:
- Reward Points System.
- RMA System.
- Grid, List Product listings.
- Gift Voucher System.
- Credit System.
- Reorder System.
- Wish List System.
- Affiliate System.
- Option Text Fields.
- Banner Manager.
- One-Page Checkout.
Advantages of OpenCart 1.5:
- More community support.
- Bug freeness.
- All modules compatible with 1.5.
- More tutorials and all type of extension available.
Disadvantages of OpenCart 1.5:
- Security issues, if you are using OpenCart 1.5, it is recommended that take some firewall which sits on top of your OpenCart as a safety level against hackers.
- Outdated version.
- New modules and extensions will not be available for this version.
System or Server requirements:
OpenCart needs specific technical requirements to be met for the store to function appropriately. First of all, a web server needs to be created to make the OpenCart store publicly visible on the web. Domain names and hosting facilities can easily be bought for a reasonable price.
When selecting a hosting package, you should check to see that these server necessities are provided and installed on their web servers:
These extensions should be facilitated for OpenCart to install appropriately on the web server.
- Web Server (Apache suggested).
- PHP 5.4+
- Database (MySQLi suggested).
- Required PHP libraries/modules.
Required PHP libraries or modules:
- GD Library.
The above PHP extensions must be available by almost all hosting service providers, during the installation procedure it will check you have them all facilitated. You have to contact your hosting service provider if one is missing.
OpenCart and its competitors :
Performances of OpenCart Comparing to its Competitors:
It’s clear that OpenCart is losing out in the competition its competitors. So, despite offering best features, community support and a lot more, there is something wrong with OpenCart.
Social media references: