A social network is a site where people talk and share to other people next door, or across the world, with one click. A user can create a profile and build a personal network that connects the user to other users by a particular type of interdependency. It could be ideas, values, trade, anything.
- Social networking sites have recorded phenomenal growth rates as it allows individuals in different aspects. Individuals achieve a broader objective like job search, a real estate search, a holiday trip plan, etc.
- A social network allows independent artists, music labels, and video content owners to upload share and sell their content to the same categories of communities. Users in turn benefit by being able to hear, download and share songs with friends and other members.
India thus without a doubt becoming one of the most technologically active countries in the world and generating a huge amount of traffic compared with other countries through networking.
From recent research: There are 472 Million internet users in India in which more than 250 Million are social media active users
This early development of technology is the major reason India is known for being most active on social media. The number of users from India is growing exponentially as the internet becomes more accessible in both urban and rural areas.
These are the 10 most popular social networking sites in India:
Founded on: January 21, 2011
Founder: Ma Huateng
Features: Messaging, Official Accounts, Moments, WeChat Pay payment services, City Services, Heat Map, Enterprise WeChat, WeChat Mini Program, Friend seek, WeChat Index, News Feed, and Search
Users: over 938 million active users
WeChat is a cross-platform instant messaging service and one of the largest standalone messaging apps by monthly active users.WeChat is a Chinese social media (instant messaging, commerce and payment services) application developed by Tencent Holdings Limited (A Chinese investment holding company).
WeChat provides the features of emoticon, share image, video, contact, geo-location, live chat as well as the video call.
- In 2017 it was reported that WeChat had overtaken Alibaba with 600 million active users.
- 760,000,000 Number of Users Login Daily; that’s approximately 41% of the total population of China.
Founded on: May 5, 2003
CEO: Jeff Weiner
Features: Incorporating keywords, Recommendations & Endorsements, Professional Gallery
with work examples, photos, video & use of Slideshare, Profile Link, advanced people finder, Create a company page, use the new showcase pages, review analytics, Join a group.
Users: 500 million members (April 2017)
LinkedIn is a business- and employment-oriented social networking service that operates via websites and mobile apps headquarter in Mountain view, California. It is mainly used for professional networking, employers posting jobs and job seekers posting their CVs to which updating is easy.
This website is one of the most active social networks in India. LinkedIn provides the option for users to build their business profile with their experience, education, and business networks. As of April 2017, LinkedIn had 500 million members in 200 countries
- The site has an Alexa Internet ranking as the 20th most popular website (October 2016)
- LinkedIn crossed 30 million user base in India, a growth 50% compared to last two years.
- It also claims Mr. Narendra Modi, Nandan Nilekani and Ronnie Screwvala having accounts.
- LinkedIn has a second largest user base in India with the US as second.
- LinkedIn is more popular among Indian than Pinterest and Instagram.
8) Google Plus:
Founded on: June 15, 2011
Key People: Larry Page, Sergey Brin
Features: User Profile, Circles, Stream, Identity Service, Privacy, +1 Button, Google+ Pages, Communities, Locations, What’s Hot, Google Local, Photography, Additional features, Collections, Deprecated Features
Users: 111 million active users
Google Plus is owned and has been operated by Google. Google Plus has been increasing and upgrading its features in the last few years. It allows you to customize and organize people and interests into “circles” based on communities and group different types of relationships (rather than simply “friends”).
A multi-person instant messaging, text and video chat called Hangouts, events, location tagging, and the ability to edit and upload photos to private cloud-based albums are the added features.
- 82% of the online population in India uses Google.
- +button is hit 5 billion times a day.
- There is a 5000 maximum friend limit on every Google+ profile.
7) Hike Messenger:
Founded on: December 12, 2012
Founder: Kavin Bharti Mittal.
Features: 2-way chat themes, photos, videos, emoticons and audio files, 5000+ graphical stickers, “nudge”, to ping the receiver, voice calling, group calls with up to 100 people in a conference call, Video calling feature, Hidden mode, games, coupons.
Users: 110 million
Hike Messenger is a cross-platform instant messaging service for smartphones that uses the internet for communication. In addition to text messaging, the features it provides are graphical stickers, emoticons, images, videos, audios, files, voice messages, contacts and user location.
- hike users spend an average time weekly is 120 minutes
- messages sent via hike monthly on an average is 40 billion
- 15 million subscribers are to its English news feed
- 3 billion stickers are sent monthly on an average.
- 50% of total registered users are active monthly.
Founded on: March 21, 2006
Founders: Jack Dorsey, Noah Glass, Biz Stone, Evan Williams
Features: tweet by sending SMS, Third-party applications, authentication method, Related headlines feature, poll questions to tweets, live streaming video programming, adding content, monitoring content, conversations including Telly (video sharing), trending topic
Users: 320 million active users (2016)
Twitter is an online social networking service where users can post their views, interact with messages, tweet, and retweet restricted up to 140 characters.
Users those are registered themselves can post tweets but those are unregistered can only view others tweets.Twitter is based in SaN Fransico, California and has more than 25 offices around the world.
The Hashtag trend(#) was proposed by the Twitter users in August 2017.
- Twitter, the microblogging site 316 users worldwide,77% outside India.
- Again, PM Narendra Modi has Largest Audience following totaling over 25,148,264 fans. On the 2nd place, Twitter has Amitabh Bachchan with 23,731,193 followers and counting.
- The most followed Indian Brand on Twitter is Reliance Mobile having 2,92,496 followers and Airtel India is on 2nd position with 1,813,07 followers.
- Twitter has 320 million users Globally, 140 million of Users Daily Active and 305 of Monthly Active Users.
- Every second, around 6000 tweets are sent which means over 350,000 tweets per minute, 500 million tweets per day and 200 billion tweets per year.
Founded on: October 6, 2010
Founders: Kevin Systrom, Mike Krieger
Features: geotag images, short videos, connect with Facebook, photographic filters, video sharing, widescreen videos, private messages with photos and videos, share locations, hashtag pages, direct camera, Instagram Stories, standalone apps, third party services.
Users: 700 million(April 2017)
Instagram is an internet based (supported by mobile and desktop) photo-sharing free application that allows users to share their pictures and video publicly or privately. Instagram lets registered users upload their photos applying the unique filters of Instagram, short videos and many features including the geo tags.
- Instagram was acquired by Facebook in April 2012 as per the result users can connect with Facebook and can share on both the platforms.
Instagram has released three stand-alone apps with special functionalities:
Bolt In July 2014, a messaging app where users click on a friend’s profile photo to quickly send an image
Hyperlapse in August, a then-iOS-exclusive app that uses “clever algorithm processing” to create tracking shots and fast time-lapse videos(supported by androids and windows)
Boomerang in October 2015, a video app that combines photos into short, one-second videos that play back-and-forth in a loop.
- 53% of web users aged 18-29 have an Instagram account.
- Globally, there are 400 Million active Instagram users with 75% of users from outside the US and 16 million Instagram users in India.
- 74% of Instagram users in India are Men and 26% are Female.
- Deepika Padukone is the most followed celebrity on Instagram with over 10.7 million followers, Priyanka Chopra with 10 Million followers is at 2nd place.
- Top brands on Instagram are Nike, Starbucks, NBA, Adidas Originals & TopShop.
Founded on: 29 August 2003
Founders: Priit Kasesalu and Jaan Tallinn
Developer: Skype Technologies
Features: Free instant messaging, voice chat, group chat, emoticons, storing chat history, editing of previous messages, online status indicators, screen sharing among 25 people at a time.
Users: 300 million monthly active users
Skype allows its users to communicate over the internet in free of cost by voice using the microphone, by video using the webcam, and by instant messaging. However, calls to landline telephones and mobile phones are charged via a debit-based user account system called Skype credit.
- Skype was purchased by Microsoft in 2011 for $8.5 billion.
- Skype supports 50 languages with translator preview feature.
- No. of Skype monthly active users-300 million users
- Amount of minutes used on Skype video calls-2 trillion(2016)
Founded on: August 9, 2011
Features: direct registration to messenger without Facebook account,Chat Heads, Money transfer, Voice Calls, Location sharing, Business interaction and third-party app integration, Transportation requests, SMS support, Multiple accounts, Bot platform, “M” assistant(an artificial intelligence virtual assistant for Messenger that automatically completes tasks for users, such as purchase items, arrange gift deliveries and arrange travels),”Home” messages panel(for sending and receiving message) ,Instant Games, Reactions and Mentions.
Users: 1.2 billion
Facebook Messenger lets users send instant messages, voice calls, video calls through messenger in one to one conversation as well as a group conversation.
Its Android app has integrated support for SMS and “Chat Heads”, which are round profile photo icons appearing on-screen.
“Messenger Day” is a feature that lets users share photos and videos in a story-format with all their friends.Anything you post there disappears automatically after 24 hours, just like with Instagram Stories or those auto-vanishing status updates on WhatsAp( it’s not about tomorrow or yesterday, it’s about today-David Marcus, Vice President of Messaging).
- 42 percent use Facebook Messenger
- 11% of world population use Facebook messenger monthly.
- 17 billion number of photos are sent through Facebook messenger per month
- There are 30,000 bots number of chatbots on Facebook messenger.
- 400 million users use audio and video calling features in Messenger each month.
Founded on: January 2009
Founder: Jan Koum and Brian Acton
Features: Free instant messaging, voice chat, group chat, emoticons, storing chat history, editing of previous messages, online status indicators, screen sharing among 25 people at a time,
Users:1 billion act6ive users(2015)
Whatsapp is a messaging app available on a host mobile operating systems. WhatsApp got a lot things right in the beginning and its growth rate is reportedly faster.All you need is just sign up your phone number and get the way to unlimited messages. MMS was rarely used due to its cost, WhatsApp made it affordable with its photo sharing feature. It is much more into Cross platform compatibility.
- Whatsapp is the 5th most downloaded app on Android.
- Whatsapp founders Brian Acton and Jan Koum are the former employee of yahoo! founded WhatsApp in 2009
- 70% of users in India are active on a daily basis
- WhatsApp claims that they are adding 1 million users everyday.
- 32 engineers works on WhatsApp, i.e. one engineer is responsible for 14 million active users!!
- According to the statistics, 400 million active users were recorded in December
Founded on: February 4, 2004
Founder: Mark Zuckerberg, Eduardo Saverin, Andrew McCollum, Dustin Moskovitz, Chris Hughes
Features: Categories community, User profile, personal Timeline, Newsfeed, profile changes, upcoming events, birthdays of the user’s friends, upload an unlimited number of photos, photos application,like button, reactions, instant messenger(facebook messenger) ,voice calls,video calls,subscribe pages, privacy settings, Facebook Bug Bounty Program
Users: 1.94 billion monthly active users(March 2017)
Facebook is an American online social media and social networking service based in Menlo Park, California. Many Facebook Apps, such as Scribd and Diamond Dash, has attracted over 15 million users.
Facebook is a popular free social networking website that allows registered users to create profiles, upload photos and video, send messages, status in private or public. The optimal length of a Facebook post – 40 characters
- Facebook is ranked third and second globally,according to third-party web analytics providers,Alexa and SimilarWeb respectively.
- Facebook posts with images see 2.3X more engagement than those without images. (source)
- Photos get 53% more likes, 104% more comments, and 84% more click than the text-based posts.
- Around 2 billion photos were uploaded to Facebook services (Facebook, Messenger, and Instagram) per day in 2015.
Here are the list of social media websites you may refer to:
|Social media||Rating||Users(Approximately)||Alexa Global Ranking|
|Facebook Messenger||9/10||1.2 billion||209|