A blogging platform is a website where you can write your own blog consisting of entries (also called as posts) appearing in a reverse chronological order with the most recent entries appearing first. Whether it’s for expressing your passion, hobby, or for business purposes, it’s important that you find the best blogging platform to get to your readers with your blog.
While there are countless free blogging sites, you will want to have a blogging platform that caters to beginners, easy to use and provides you with the customization tools you are looking for to give your audience.
Just below is a comparison chart that details the top free blogging platforms such as Word Press, Weebly, Wix, and Blogger, just to name a few. Look at the details why they are regarded as the best free blog sites trusted by entrepreneurs and business owners.
Here is the list of blogging sites that provide the necessities to help you effectively grow your blog, drive traffic and generate income to your blog.
Word press is the most popular free blogging platform preferred by the bloggers and the web designers. This website is super flexible for anyone of any profession, a blogger who writes or a photographer who wants to show your portfolio. You can also upgrade and get your own domain name for more followers and readers.
- Word Press is responsible for 76.5 million blogs and counting! The reason why it’s so popular is its flexibility and unique features.
- It is an open-source design with the ability to customize your permalinks.
- Tools those are ideal for beginners.
- Word Press has themes and plug-in that can easily help you make your blog look stunning and professional.
- The plug-in will add functionality like SEO tracking, analytics, social media share buttons, and plenty more.
- Extend Word Press with over 45,000plug-insn to help your website meet your needs.
Additional information about the platform:
Founded on May 27th, 2003
Requires a domain name and hosting service
75 million websites use word press
409 million people view word press blog monthly.
24.6 billion pages are viewed on word press blogs monthly
Blogger is one the trustworthy and reliable blogging sites.A well-known platform that is backed by Google.It’s incredibly simple and user-friendly as the site takes you step-by-step through creating your site.To use blogger you can log in to Gmail account and have your first go within an hour.
- There are a lot of customization options
- Blogger is owned by Google and is a free blogging website.
- It is massively popular with some great services, even if they are a bit basic.
- There is also an Adsense monetization option, layout customization, and the option to edit the coding.
- The options are basic when compared to other platforms previously mentioned.
- A user just can type their content, upload pictures and post it.
Here’s a more detailed comparison of Blogger versus Word Press.
Recommend for beginner level bloggers
Founded in August 1999 and Purchased by Google in February 2003
33% of B2B companies use blogs.
Once you write 21-54 blog posts, blog traffic generation increases by up to 30%.
Of all the bloggers in the word, there are approximately 31 million local to the U.S.
Companies that blog have 97% more inbound links.
- There are 2 types hosted version of ghost: the self-hosted version that is free to download and use, and hosted version on Ghost’s own servers.
- provides a live preview of your post while you are writing it.so you can easily correct any writing or coding mistakes.
- Ghost does not provide free hosted plans rather it provides 14 days free trial basis to post your blog provided it is free only if you install in your own system.
- There are also post image covers, tags, and meta tags options.
Some additional information:
Ghost platform was first floated publicly in November 2012 in a blog post by project founder John O’Nolan
It was initially released on October 14, 2013
Ghost is a Node.js app written with the Express framework.
Ghost claims that it is fast, and its good for SEO.
Squarespace is helpful for Business Owners, Bloggers who want a very flashy web design and beginner’s looking for a user-friendly website builder.It is an User-friendly online website builder and website hosting service.Squarespace wants to help you create a website that looks like you have spent a lot of money on your blog.As the end result is extremely polished, visually pleasing and responsive website.
- There’s a feature called “Cover Pages” that lets you create scrolling layouts that can be combined with a template or made on its own.
- The designs are laid out in a simple and user-friendly way, everything from colors to font, to spacing and sidebar width can be tweaked at the touch of a button.
- 24/7 customer support.
- This platform features tons of templates that will keep your blog looking polished and professional.
|Squarespace was founded in 2003 and launched in January 2004 by Anthony Casalena
In 2016, Squarespace was ranked #8 on the Forbes Cloud 100 list.
In 2015Squarespace was Ranked #7 Best Place to Work in New York City by Crain’s New York.
In 2014 it was Named the #3 best medium company to work at in the USA by Fortune.
It was listed in #45 in the Forbes annual list of America’s Most Promising Companies in 2013.
Listed in Time.com’s 50 Best Websites of 2012.
In a sentence:wordpress.com is a hosted blogging platform built with the WordPress software.
WordPress.com is the simplified version hosted version of WordPress. you can install yourself without downloading the software. All you need to do is the just signup for an account and you can start blogging in a matter of minutes.it is best for Hobby bloggers, anyone who wants to start a blog with no investment at all and Professional bloggers.
- No additional payments to get your site hosted.
- By default, you get a subdomain like example.wordpress.com.
- You can add a custom domain (on the free plan costs $18 / year; for paid plans a custom domain is included).
- Ease of use than the self-hosted version of WordPress, due to the fact that hosting, site setup, basic configuration are all taken care of by the site.
- There are a couple of hundreds of themes to choose from, and if you opt for one of the premium plans, you also get the opportunity to customize the design you’re using, though it doesn’t deliver as many design options as self-hosted WordPress.
- Popular features like sharing, stats, comments, and polls are included, but there’s no option to install third-party plugins.
- Version 4 of the WordPress is used by 92.2% of all the websites who use WordPress.
|WordPress was launched on November 21, 2005
It is ranked 34 as per Alexa web traffic data analytic.
It is written in PHP.
WordPress is used by 59.1% of all the websites. This is 28.2% of all websites.
Version 4 of the WordPress is used by 92.2% of all the websites who use WordPress.
Used by many influencers, such as Tim Ferriss or even Jay-Z (LifeandTimes.com).
Tumblr is a blogging platform very popular in young audiences. It has a unique setup and a different method of blogging that earned them a lot of users. The entire website was built on the concept of “micro-blogging”, this term refers to the way posts are uploaded on the platform and allows for easy uploading of short stories, videos, and photos. You’re not going to see any long-form 2,000-word posts here.
It’s a different world than most other platforms, but you can’t deny the charm and simplicity it offers.
- Tumblr mainly focuses on the community blog.
- It provides a variety of options for sharing and reblogging content. The downside to blogging on
- Tumblr is that it does not focus on text content, but photos and GIFs. Visual bloggers will love it!
- user-friendly interface means that you can get your work done faster.
- Yahoo recently purchased them, so their growth isn’t slowing down anytime soon
Additional information about the company:
|Tumblr is Founded in February 2007 by David Karp
152 million of user database
Easy to use and share other people’s work through re-blogging
Missing out on customization options
Free to use with the option of removing the “.tumblr” from the URL
Great for art and photography, simple and easy to navigate design
Medium is less of a personalized blogging platform and more of a community-centric writing tool. It defines itself as “a community of readers and writers offering unique perspectives on ideas large and small.” In other words, writing on Medium is comparable to having your article in the college magazine or the notice-board, rather than in a journal or diary of your own.
- Medium is something you can use on zero budget. There are no storage limits in place, and the best part is that everything is free as of now – custom domains, sub-domains, SSL and much more.
- Another feature on the front page for viewers to see is how many views it’s gotten on the platform and how much time it needs to read the blog.
- you can share the blog you like.The dashboard also allows creators to see where traffic originated from.
- There is no minimum word count for posts, but Medium suggests that content over 400 words are popular.
More About Medium:
Founded in 2012 by Evan Williams (Twitter, Blogger) and Biz Stone (Twitter)
For the sheer “feel” of blogging, you can’t beat the simplicity that Medium offers. This is a place where you can have your voice heard without the responsibility of a full-time blogger.
The fact that it’s also a free and open platform means that you can jump in quickly, sharing about anything that you’re passionate about.
Readers can comment on other’s posts, recommend posts and follow and share their favorites.
Wix is an another website builder that offers plenty of tools and designs to assist you growing results with your incredible looking website. You don’t need any knowledge of coding. This is another website builder, but you really can’t argue with the results people get.
- It gives you a professional result even when you don’t have any ideas on coding.
- Wix features hundreds of unique and very professional-looking templates.
- You can also add apps onto your site and your links to your social media accounts.
- Web pages or blogs you create with the platform are maintained for portable devices ( smartphone or tablet).
- You get a free Wix account with 500MB storage and 1GB bandwidth with; if you need more – then take a look at their premium plans.
|Wix was founded by Israelis Avishai Abrahami, Nadav Abrahami and Giora Kaplan in 2006.
On 23 February 2017, Wix acquired the online art community DeviantArt for $36 million.
On March 2011, Wix had 8.5 million users.
On October 2012, Wix launched an app market known as “Wix’s software development kit” for users to sell applications built with the company’s automated web development technology.
over 500 designer-made templates as well as plenty of additional features and apps, along with top-grade hosting so you can rest assured your site will be there when you need it.
Weebly is perfect for beginners who don’t have any web design experience. Web builders allow you to easily drag-and-drop new elements into your theme. Weebly is preferable for those Beginner bloggers or business owners, Businesses looking to create a professional online storefront and Bloggers looking to get something up and running fast. As it does all the coding in the background so you can focus on the end result.
- You’ll be able to create extremely professional looking websites,mobile-responsive for maximum rankings on search engines.
- Weebly features tons of unique and modern themes to start your blog look appealing.
- It also offers e-commerce, an iPhone app for posting on the go, and easy linking to your social media.
- It’s based on drag-and-drop components, which enable you to create new pages in short time.
Weebly was founded on March 29,2006, by Chief executive officer David Rusenko, Chief Technology
officer Chris Fanini, and Chief operating officer Dan Veltri.
TIME Magazine listed Weebly amongst the 50 Best Websites of 2007.
Weebly was one of the featured apps in the Chrome web store’s launch.
David Rusenko, Weebly’s CEO, and co-founder earned a spot on Forbes’ 2011 “30 Under 30” list
Svtle is similar to Medium.It’s blogging platform is so user-friendly that it could gain the place in your favorite blogging platform. You get a stylish experience for the act of writing and inserting multimedia. Being popular as a super-slick and modern platform, Svbtl feels more like a doodle pad. It is best for the Writers who want a free-flowing platform, bloggers who struggle with writer’s block and people who need a distraction-free experience.
- It’s a platform that no only gives you the ability to post your blog but also the ideas that can make your blog unique.
- It all starts with a
dashboard designed to help you curate ideas.
- Unlike many free blog sites, SVBTLE also promises that they will never take down your blog.
- With the Svbtle network, it isn’t so much about writing long articles or anything truly original.
- there are no plugins, no post types, and no social bullshit
- Svbtle does allow for custom domains.
Svbtle was founded by Dustin Curtis in 2012.
You can get this stylish blogging platform at $6/month
Supports Markdown, a plain text formatting syntax designed so that it can be human-readable and easily converted to HTML. Markdown allows HTML code.
List of Blogging Sites:
|Blogging Platforms||Rating||Users(Approximately)||Alexa Global Ranking|
|Facebook Note||9/10||300 million||3|
Social Media References: