If you are planning to make your own website and not the expert in coding, then don’t worry. It’s not difficult as you think. You need to follow some simple step and make your website effectively.
- Choose a website building platform where you want to build your site.
- Choose a relevant domain name and host.
- Set up your website, choose the template and make it look appealing.
Step 1: Choose a website building platform:
Before going further first you need to choose the website platform. There are many CMSes (content management system) available to create a website with interactive features like member registration, polls, search, news, blog, newsletter, forms, guestbook, chat and more without touching a single line of code. Here you no need have the expert in programming or HTML experience. If you have some experience with Microsoft word then you’ll be able to manage your own website very easily.
Although there are many CMSes are available, most of the users focusing on the CMS packages based on PHP and MySQL database, for storing the information that you input for your websites. The most popular CMSes are:
Word press: It is a free open source CMS, and the best choice for beginners to create small to medium sized websites and provides more plug-in, themes, other customization.
Drupal: It is the most powerful free open source Content Management System written in PHP and distributed under the GNU General Public Licensee. So you need to be aware of the basic knowledge of HTML, CSS, and PHP.
Joomla: Like both the WordPress and Drupal it is a free open source CMS, and great for social networking websites, but requires a basic understanding of the technical skill.
All above CMSes offers great features, tons of customization, ease-of-use, and strong security. But from among them, Word press is the most popular CMSes and most of the website on the Internet is running on the word press website platform.
Why is Word press so popular?
Easy installation and beginner friendly:
Installation is very easy and it takes within five minutes. Many web hosting offers instant , automated word press install. If you know the use of Microsoft word then it’ll be easy for you to handle. Word press can handle just about any kind of website from small to the large website. WordPress has more plug-ins, themes and other customization than any other CMS.
Free and easy to use:
WordPress is totally free open source CMS and there are thousands of free plug-ins and themes available to choose for your website and most importantly you’ll never run out of techniques. This is the perfect beginner choice with no need to plodded through hand-coding websites.
Huge Support Community:
Due to millions of people using these sites and supporting it, it’s easy to get the quick solution if you have any issues about your new word press site. Word press has also lots of free resources both available on Youtube and their support forum.
Step-2: Choose a relevant domain name and host:
After choosing the appropriate platform, you have to get the domain name and the web hosting to running your website online.
- A domain name gives the name of your website
- A web hosting provides you the service that connects your site to the internet.
WordPress gives you the free domain name like website.Wordpress.com which looks unprofessional but if you prefer to spend little bit money your website can have its own hosting which is much faster than any free hosting you can get and your professional domain name like website.com.
From below links you’ll get the details of the most popular domain and hosting sites with cost.
How to choose the suitable Domain name?
Just think about the purpose of your website and which keyword properly befitting your website in the best way possible. When you have a lot of keywords then start mix all together and try to find out which one sounds more catchy, short, unique and much easier to remember.
Domain extension is the one important part while representing your domain name. If you want to target worldwide audience then .com, .org, .net are the best possible ways to represent.
For local domain, you can use .in for India, .uk for the UK etc…
Example: If your website based on dance, then dancefreak.com would be the better than dance-freak.com
After making a suitable domain name check the copyright with the name of your website and after doing this head over to copyright.gov and buy your URL name.
Step 3: Set up your website, choose the template and make it look appealing:
There are two ways to install WordPress.
- 1 click installation
- Manual installation
1 click installation:
1. Log in to your own hosting account.
2. Go to your control panel.
3. Click the “WordPress ” icon in website section
4. Choose the domain name where you want to install your website.
5. Click the Install Now button and you’ll get details of how to access your new WordPress website.
1. Download the WordPress from https://wordpress.org/download/ and save it one folder on your local drive computer.
2. Unzip it into that folder.
3. Create a standard database for WordPress on your web servers like MySQL and add the user by clicking an Add User.
4. After completion note down the values of hostname, username, database name and the password you choose.
5. Find the file name wp-config-sample.php and change the name of it into wp-config.php by selecting the option “rename”.
6. Open the wp-config.php and add your database information.
DB_NAME: database name
7. Now login to your hosting Ftp(download FileZilla) with same username and password that you used to register to your host. If there is any file names “index” then delete it.
8. Then upload the files from your WordPress folder to your FTP server.
- In the root directory of your website(websiteexample.com), you upload all the content of the WordPress directory into the root directory of your website.
- In a subdirectory of your website(websiteexample.com/blog), rename the WordPress directory to your desired name then upload the directory to your desired location within the root directory of your website.
9. Run the WordPress installation script by accessing the URL in web browser. Ex.Websiteexample.com/wp-admin/install.php
Choosing the theme:
After successful installation, you’ll see some basic theme which WordPress automatically install at the very beginning. The Proper theme makes your sites professional/attractive whatever you want to be and provides its own identity.
This is also one of the main reason why WordPress is popular because there are thousands of themes designed by WordPress developer to get the best possible sites.
How to find the theme:
1. Login to your WordPress dashboard by typing your web address with /wp.login
2. Type your username and password.
3. After login, you’ll see the view of the dashboard page.
4. Then go to the Appearance which mentions on the sidebar and then clicks on the theme, that will give your best front end design.
5. Then click on the Add New Themes button which will take you through to where all the free WordPress themes are.
6. Here you can find featured, popular, latest theme and if you click on Feature Filter then you also get more option to find the best theme of your site.
7. If you want something more professional than premium themes will take you forward and some premium themes are more likely web design software and it provides you immediate support if something wrong goes on your site.
8. Theme Forest provides the huge library of themes and is ideal for the beginner Word Press Web Builder.
9. Just try to look for the “responsive” themes as it can access and look good on any mobile devices.
10.After choosing the best theme of your website click on install button and then click activate.
How to add content and create a new page:
Adding a new page:
Look for the Pages in the Dashboard sidebar section and then click on Add New.
Once you’ve clicked, you’ll find a blank screen which almost looks like Microsoft word. Here you can add video, images, text, link etc…
And after editing the text save it by clicking Save Draft and Preview it before go for publish to check everything is okay or not.
How to add a new page to your menu:
Save any changes if you made in your content by clicking the update button.
Click Appearance in the dashboard sidebar and then edit menus.
Find the page you created will be displayed in the Pages box and click on the tick box to the pages you want to add your menu and then click Add to menu button.
Create a new post:
If your website has a blog section then the post is where you’ll publish your content. First, create a category named blog and add it to your menu.
First, go to post section on your Dashboard and then categories to make specific content.
Otherwise, you can also first post your content by clicking Add new under the section of Post and then choose the category mention at the right side and then publish it.
Disable your comment section if you want:
If you want to avoid the visitor commenting on your pages then go to the setting page, then discussion and untick Allow people to post comments on new articles.
To setup a static front page:
With the help static page whatever you mention on front page and post page, it will display the same without any change.
Go to setting and click on reading.
Choose the static page where front page denotes your home page and front page mention your front page of your blog.
Plugins are the extension that is installed into the WordPress CMS to expand the capabilities, adding features, usability, tools and much more to your sites that don’t come with your WordPress theme. Plugins will help you to add functionality if you build the whole site again and missed anything out. It’s used for site optimization, adding photo galleries, creating an online store and more.
To install a plugin go to the plugin section and then select Add New. Use the search function find the plugin which must be great by viewing the review.
Now you are ready to launch your website online.
Social Media References: