SEO is one important part of bringing a product into the limelight. It helps you achieve high ranking in Google. Therefore many SEOs and marketer are pushing the link building process beyond the limit which violates the Google guidelines. As a result, many websites are being penalized by Google, which causes most severe losses to your site. These penalties can be the result of the manual review or algorithm updates such Google Penguin, Panda, Hummingbird. You suddenly see your site’s traffic drop and recovering those losses is very difficult to achieve. So follow these below guidelines to avoid Google penalties.
Reduce the use of Keyword Stuffing:
Using the relevant Keyword in your title tag, Metadata, and description is one of the most important parts of ranking in search engine. In the past, repetition of keywords is an attempt to manipulate a site’s ranking in SERPs which known as keyword stuffing. But now it refers as web spam or spamdexing.
It not only penalized by Google but also it gives poor user experience. So adding this method takes you nowhere and Google no longer gives good ranking to page employing this technique.
The examples given by the Googles guideline’s are:
- List of phone numbers without substantial added value.
- Blocks of text listing cities and states a webpage is trying to rank for
- Repeating the same word or phrases so often that it sounds unnatural.
- We sell custom cigar humidors. Our custom cigar humidors are handmade. If you’re thinking of buying a firstname.lastname@example.org
So try to avoid keyword stuffing by providing rich content with necessary keywords to the end user. It drives a lot of traffic with improved rank in SERPs.
Remove bad backlinks:
As we know backlinks are used to generate traffic with increasing your website’s PR. But Low quality, unnatural and spammy backlinks never takes you up in the search engine. So if you’re getting juice link from any other spam or low authority site then delete those immediately because sometimes we unknowingly generate the backlinks some low authority sites or may be your competitor wants to delist your sites by sending some spammy links. So check your backlinks periodically by some excellent backlink tools like Google search console, majestic etc…and delete the bad links. Try to avoid using black-hat techniques which have been strictly prohibited by Google.
Avoid malicious behavior activity:
According to Google guidelines, Google not only aims to give its users the most relevant search result for their queries but also to keep them safe on the web.
- Cloaking is one of the biggest examples here. This is complete black hat process which gets your site penalized. Because cloaking refers to an SEO spam practice of presenting your content in one way to the search engine but when the user clicks, it redirects to completely different content.
- Installing malware, Trojan’s viruses on a user’s computer
- Inducing unusual ads or pop-ups on pages,
- Adding unwanted files in a download that a user requested
Providing rich content:
If your content is detected as thin content or non-informative page or scraped content in front of the search engine, then your ranking will drop down immediately. Google never give importance to those pages which generating such less friendly content and try to keep the search result clean.
And it always takes action against those sites which producing
- low content and non-informative(Google always try to give the best result to the user so forget those contents)
- Scraped content(The content which is taken from other reputed sites post without even adding or changing any value)
- Auto generated post(Creating blog post without any user intervention)
- Low-quality guest post
So provide some rich content with particular information from which user can get benefitted. Always make your intention helpful towards the user and add some unique value to it.
Avoid Hidden Text:
If your sites using hidden text technique which is invisible to the user but visible to the search engine in order to manipulate the search engine ranking algorithm, then it’s violating the Google’s webmaster guideline.
According to the webmaster’s guideline, it can be hidden in several ways. Which is:
- Using white text on a white background
- Locating text behind an image
- Using CSS to position text off-screen
- Setting the font size to 0
- Hiding link by only linking one small character, for example, a hyphen in the middle of the paragraph
Avoid Interstitial app pages on your mobile sites:
If your website using the intrusive advertisements which are a pop-up that begs the user to install your app on mobile devices, then your site soon loses its rank on search engine. Because in 2015, the search engine giant announced it would penalize the website that displays Interstitial ads promoting users to download an app.
Delete the Spam comment:
Avoiding abusing or spammy comment is one of the solutions from getting Google penalty. Some other sites intentionally posting tons of links in order to boost their sites ranking but Google is very good at evaluating these types of links and mention them as spam. So if your site load of spammy comment then Google will start to give your site less value.
So According to Google webmaster blog follow those tips:
- Disallow anonymous posting
- Use CAPTACHAs and other methods to prevent automated comment spamming.
- Turn on comment moderation.
- Use the “Nofollow” attribute for links in the comment field.
- Disallow hyperlinks in comments
- Block comment pages using robots.txt or meta tags.
Avoid Link Scheme:
When a link intends to manipulate page ranking or monetary benefits rather than usefulness to people, it’s called link schemes. These schemes totally violate the Google Guidelines. The following are examples of link schemes which given by Google:
- Buying or selling links that pass PageRank. This includes exchanging money for links, or posts that contain links; exchanging goods or services for links; or sending someone a free product in exchange for them writing about it and including a link.
- Excessive link exchanges(“Link to me and I’ll link to you”) or partner pages exclusively for the sake of cross-linking
- Large-scale article marketing or guest posting campaigns with keyword-rich anchor text links.
- Using automated programs or services to create links to your site.
Social Media References: